Where I am

Parbatipur, my home away from home, is a small town in Dinajpur district, north-western Bangladesh. It has a population of about 350 000 people, including a significant minority of indigenous communities. A major railway junction during the colonial era, it is now more of a sleepy backwater, dotted with crumbling red-brick bungaloes, where buffaloes are more common than cars.

About me

My photo
After graduating in 2008, I decided to scratch my perpetually itchy feet and try out the life of a development worker. Currently working as a VSO volunteer for a grass roots development organisation that works with indigenous peoples in north-western Bangladesh, this blog is made up of my observations, reflections and ramblings about life in this wonderfully exasperating country. Having been in Bangladesh since October 2008, the time is rapidly approaching when I will need to decide what I'm going to do next. This blog will also document my journey from Bangladesh to whatever comes next...

Friday 23 January 2009

A glimmer of hope (7/01/09)

This is just a quick update on the work situation, for anyone who was concerned that I might be out here committing violent crimes in frustration at the total lack of progress on the work front.

1. A big meeting was had today, in which myriad things were cleared up. All the big wigs, including from VSOB, and at least everybody is now on the same page.
2. My objectives are now somewhat more clarified, and include: assisting VSOB with its move to integrate indigenous rights programmes within its governance programmes; facilitating the development of greater gender mainstreaming within GBK; organising some basic communications workshops on things like writing reports, case studies and press releases; and running English classes for GBK’s staff who are all desperate to learn English. There go my chances of Bangla fluency…
3. Although I feel more positive and optimistic about work now, I remain a tad sceptical. I will only believe it when the agreed meetings/workshops/trainings etc are actually carried out. I know it sounds horribly cynical, but experience has taught me not to count on time management.

No comments: