Where I am

Parbatipur, my home away from home, is a small town in Dinajpur district, north-western Bangladesh. It has a population of about 350 000 people, including a significant minority of indigenous communities. A major railway junction during the colonial era, it is now more of a sleepy backwater, dotted with crumbling red-brick bungaloes, where buffaloes are more common than cars.

About me

My photo
After graduating in 2008, I decided to scratch my perpetually itchy feet and try out the life of a development worker. Currently working as a VSO volunteer for a grass roots development organisation that works with indigenous peoples in north-western Bangladesh, this blog is made up of my observations, reflections and ramblings about life in this wonderfully exasperating country. Having been in Bangladesh since October 2008, the time is rapidly approaching when I will need to decide what I'm going to do next. This blog will also document my journey from Bangladesh to whatever comes next...

Thursday 11 December 2008

9/12/08 Eid ul-Azha, or Eating my own body weight in meat

Today was Eid ul-Azha, or Korbani Eid, which roughly translates as slaughtering or sacrificial Eid. It’s linked to that episode where God or Allah (depending on which version of the story you subscribe to) asks Abraham or Ibrahim to sacrifice his most beloved son, Isaac, and right before he goes through with it, an animal is substituted in Isaac’s place.

Anyway, whatever the back story, the central focus of Eid ul-Azha, aside from a whole bunch of praying, is butchery. Sadly (or not, perhaps), I didn’t witness a single slaughter, compared to Ollie’s two. But I did see a whole lot of carcasses, blood and dismembered body parts. And I did eat a hell of a lot of meat.

For the past week, Ollie and I have been fielding invitations left, right and centre, to spend Eid with various different people, and our social calendar was chocka with visits all over Parbatipur. Because of all the butchering, the logical conclusion of this is that there is also a lot of eating. And I mean A LOT. So I’ll break it down meal by meal, to give you an idea of my day.

1. I ate breakfast with Meena, my landlady, while her family was out at namaj, or prayers, (this was a bit of a sore point for me, as I was desperate to watch the prayers, which happen in a huge field, with lots of celebration afterwards, but my genitalia apparently excluded me from attending). Anyway, breakfast was a delicious milky sweet concoction made with noodles, eaten with rice flour ruti, and then some pulao (rice cooked with oil) and beef.

2. Then, I went to GBK’s director’s family home with Ollie, Sarah (our GBK counterpart) and her husband and niece, as they are all Christian so weren’t celebrating at home. We took a 45-minute rickshaw ride through beautiful, quiet countryside that was all mud huts and paddy fields. This idyll was, however, interspersed with groups of villagers surrounding bloody, gradually dismembered cow carcasses. It was a bizarre sight, to see men tearing out internal organs or hacking through spinal columns at five minute intervals (I will upload some photos as soon as I can). There, we ate more misti with rice-flour bread.

3. About an hour later, we were called back from our repose for lunch. This was possibly the freshest beef I have ever eaten – literally two hours before it had been mooing in the yard. And, sorry cow, but it was delicious! Again, it was served with pulao, vegetables and ruti.

4. After some rest, we jumped back on the van and headed back into town. From there, Ollie and I went to another colleague, Alam’s house. I could hardly walk from all the food I’d consumed, so had to refuse the offer of more beef. But Alam-bhai insisted I ate some rice pudding, which was delicious.

5. Next, I headed home to spend some more time with Meena and her family. For the previous few days, I’d been kept awake by the bleating of a goat in the front yard of my building. Now the goat was no longer in the yard, but in a huge cooking pot. And, again, it just tasted so good! I ate a plate of goat meat, with yet more pulao, but at least Meena relented when I told her I really could not eat another thing.

6. I allowed myself a ten-minute lie down before dragging myself round to Ollie’s, where we had long ago promised Helal that we’d eat dinner at his uncle’s house. When they whipped the lids of several huge pots of goat, beef, pulao and vegetables, my stomach actually heaved at the thought of putting more food in it. But I couldn’t refuse to eat without appearing rude, so I ate. Again.

Six meals of pure meat later, my concerns about developing a protein deficiency were firmly laid to rest. I don’t know that I’ll ever be hungry again. The only problem is, I’ve already accepted invitations to lunch and dinner tomorrow…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey hey jo!

your blog is really interesting - glad to hear you're living it up in the 'desh. your wadham or oxon email doesn't work so im pasting all the email correspondence and wishes all the amnesty kids are having.

starting from ruth to divya : hope ur xmas is FABULOUS:::::::


Okay, I guess I have to send a joyful Christmas message to you all now -
otherwise I'll look like the miserable one who can't even reply to emails...

SO, Hope you all have a good time wherever you are and whatever you're doing
over Christmas. Let the 'Sexiest Amnesty committee ever' live on!

Love x x










In message Saskia Dean
writes:
> i am not sure i can be imaginative....
> nope. i can't.
> have a super christmas!!!
> saskia xxxx
>
> In message Peter
> Lockwood <> writes:
> > Thought I'd throw in my lot here and say MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all as well.
> >
> > Have a good 'un
> >
> > xxx
> >
> > In message
> "Rini
> > Banerjee" <> writes:
> > > MERRRRRY CHRISTMAS !!!!
> > >
> > > have fun nursing hangovers, opening presents, and eating 5000
calories/hour
> > > as i plan to :)
> > >
> > > and of coz we miss you divya and your jokes. and jo tooooooooooo!! and
> > > emilyyy
> > >
> > > take care lovely people xxxxxx
> > >
> > > On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Marina Kemp
> > <>wrote:
> > >
> > > > Merry Christmas Divya, and everyone!
> > > >
> > > > Are you having an amazing time in the real world, Divya? We miss you
too
> in
> > > > Oxford.
> > > >
> > > > Lots of love and Christmassy wishes to everyone -
> > > >
> > > > Marina xxx.
> > > >
> > > > In message
> > > > "Divya
> > > > Alexander" <> writes:
> > > > > Dear Pete, Jo, Sirio, Rini, Emily, Saskia, Aveek, Marina, Rebecca,
> Ellie,
> > > > > Ruth and Hannah
> > > > >
> > > > > Here's wishing you all a lovely Christmas and a great new year!
> > > > >
> > > > > I hope you're all well! I miss you guys loads, and all the amnesty
fun
> we
> > > > > had :-)
> > > > >
> > > > > And, because I know you love them, here's a Christmas joke to make
sure
> > > > you
> > > > > don't get withdrawal symptoms before seeing me again (I have no idea
> when
> > > > > this may be, though!):
> > > > >
> > > > > What do reindeer always say before telling you a joke?
> > > > > This one will sleigh you.
> > > > >
> > > > > Ahaha.
> > > > >
> > > > > Let me know how you're doing. Hope to hear soon!
> > > > >
> > > > > Lots of love
> > > > > Divya xxx
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > --
> > > > > Divya Alexander
> > > > >
> > > >

Anonymous said...

sorry that was jumble.

basically
1. ruth
2. saskia
3. peter
4. me
5. marina
6. divya

here's ellie:
I'm sending you all the most Christmassy thing I can find...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pR_8kmOmxyk

It may not be to everyone's taste... :)

Have a lovely one! xxxxxxxxxxx

and rebecca:
Joyeux noel!

and emily:
Aww thanks for the Christmas email Divya - the joke is amazing by the way!
I miss you all loads too - hope everyone has a joyeux noel and a bonne annee!
lots of love
Emily
xxxx


SEE! YOUR FRIENDS FROM FAR FAR AWAY MISS YOU!!!!! (and im not working hard for finals..... and im going to failarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

take care! plus update me on your email address plz! and if you need any bangla help let me knowwwwww xxxxxxxx